8.03.2011

Sisters

I drove up to Washington this week with my older sisters Lindsay and Chelsea. This trip and other things have made me realize that my sisters are my best friends. Some people say that's weird, but I don't care. I am not truly myself around ANYONE but them. I have some really great friends, but I don't have a connection with any of them like I do with my sisters. We grew up together so we know all the same people, we've seen all the same movies, have a ton of inside jokes, and have endless stories to talk about. We are completely comfortable around each other. We can look at each other and know what the other is thinking. One minute we'll be fighting, and the next minute one of us will say something like, "Guess what happened today," or "Let's go see a movie." And they are pretty much the only people in the world (besides my mom) that think I'm funny. I love my sisters.

Lake Umatilla, Stateline, WA
But it wasn't always this way. When we were younger, we hated each other. We were always fighting and tearing each other down. Lindsay is six years older than me and Chelsea four and a half. So when they were in junior high and high school, I was just a little elementary school kid. They may not remember it this way, but they were terrible to me. They would always tease me about being stupid and annoying and ugly. So I would go into their rooms and steal things and empty their trash cans all over their floor. It wasn't the best relationship. And when I was in high school, they were away in college and I didn't know them at all. We never talked and I had no idea what was going on in their lives. When they came home for summer, they were strangers. But when I came up for my freshman year at BYU we hung out all the time. And now we live together and we know each other better than ever. We have had our fair share of arguments and problems in the past two years, but we always come out of them stronger than before and they have led us to the relationships we have with each other today.

Madison, on the other hand, is only a year and a half younger than me. We shared a room and/or a bathroom my entire life until I came up to college. When we were really little, I remember being on top of her punching her because she made me so mad. Throughout high school, we still fought, but not physically. We fought about stealing each other's clothes, not keeping the bathroom clean, etc. But after I came out to Provo and we had some time apart, I realized how much I love her! We text each other almost every day. The other day I talked to her on the phone for a few hours and we made each other laugh like no one else can. It's not because we're particularly funny (well at least I'm not); we just understand each other. No offense to Lindsay or Chelsea, but I would say that she is my number one best friend.


2 comments:

  1. siblings are great! especially when you grow out of the hate part of a love-hate relationship. did that make sense?

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete