7.28.2011

Good Music

Three years ago, I was a youth leader for our stake's girls camp and I volunteered to write the camp song. The theme was super heroes, so I decided to write about how Christ is our ultimate hero. I named it "Rescue Me." The final version of the song was never recorded, but you can listen to the demo here: http://www.myspace.com/allysonanderson

I was reminded of this because my stake back home has girls camp this week and my mom let me know that people have been telling her how much they loved my song. I am so grateful to have had the opportunity to write the song and that so many have been able to hear it and feel touched by it. I have continued to write since then, and my appreciation for good music and artists has greatly increased over the years. Good music makes me happy.

Camp Liahona 2008
When people ask me what my favorite type of music is, I don't have any certain genre in mind; every genre has good and bad. And I definitely don't say "pretty much everything," as many others do. I figured out a different way to describe what I classify as good music. The first indicator of a good song is that it makes me feel good. But when I hear a really good one, one that is so beautifully written and full of emotion, I say that it "feeds my soul." To me, a really fantastic song can be as satisfying as a delicious meal. These songs are true art. Here is an example: Gravity by Sara Bareilles

Another type of song I love is one that "warms my heart." These songs are happy, cute, up-beat, and evidence of good in the world. The best example I can think of is this: I Do by Colbie Caillat

When it comes to my favorite artists, I tend to choose those that consistently produce quality music. These are the artists whose entire discography can be found on my iPod and are never skipped when they come up on shuffle.  They have real talent, which includes the ability to sing well and write meaningful, original lyrics. I respect artists even more if they avoid the use of profanity. Based on these criteria, my favorite artists are probably Sara Bareilles, Ingrid Michaelson, and Adele.

Portrait of Adele by my very good and talented friend Tim Nguyen
This hanging in my room above my keyboard, where I write most of my music. She is my inspiration.
I also like a lot of hip-hop, but I can rarely find one single hip-hop artist with more than a few quality tracks. Here are some good blogs devoted to underground hip-hop/rap, techno, and mash-ups:

We listen to music in the car, at the gym, at dances, or just trying to relax after a long day. It can make us feel whatever a good artist wants us to feel. And we love it! But why? How does it appeal so strongly to our emotions? I read about this in a book called This is Your Brain on Music: The Science of a Human Obsession by Daniel J. Levitin. He explains that music exploits categorization and expectation, two fundamental cognitive processes, which cause the release of dopamine when performed. He also argues that musical ability is an indicator of mental, physical, and emotional health, not just an incidental by-product of evolution. I recommend the book if you want to know more. It's a relatively easy read, and it is always interesting to learn about the science behind things we enjoy.

2 comments:

  1. WONDERFUL post, love. wow. as if i needed to be reminded of how fantastically talented you are! loves.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Allyson! What a beautiful song. You are talented. Blogging is fun too, isn't it? :)

    ReplyDelete